It’s no secret we’re obsessed with essential oils at the Fillman camp and lavender is near the top of our love list. We easily go through a bottle a month. It’s the first oil I ran out of and almost had a panic attack. True story. Since it’s a family favorite, I thought I’d share the top ways we use it to give you some inspiration or ideas to try in your own home!
- To promote sleep. We love to diffuse with frankincense and orange at night. Hello to dreamland! I will sometimes also take a drop in my hands with 1-2 drops of coconut oil and rub on my kid’s hands & feet if they are particularly rambunctious before bedtime. There’s something about that physical touch, the mini massage and the lavender that ensures no trips out of bed. Amen, mommas?
- Hair detangler. Combine 1 cup distilled water, 2 tbsp fractionated (liquid) coconut oil and 3 drops lavender and spritz on hair for a natural detangler. This so comes in handy after our daughter has been hardcore playing and her curls turn into a birds nest.
- No more puffy eyes. Add 10 drops to a roller bottle, top with jojoba oil and roll on puffy eyes each morning. You’ll thank me later.
- For ooh-lah-lah lashes. Adding a drop to your mascara tube will not only promote longer lashes, it will also stretch the life of your mascara. Score!
- Relieve tension. Combine 15 drops lavender + 15 drops peppermint in a roller bottle with fractionated coconut oil and rub on the back of the neck to relieve tension, or after one too many glasses of wine 😉
- For mermaid hair. Add a few drops to your shampoo or conditioner to promote hair growth.
- Relieve burned/sunburned skin. I made an After-Sun Spray with aloe vera gel, witch hazel, lavender & peppermint essential oils for those days when we’ve been out in the sun too long. It works perfectly to soothe skin while providing a cooling effect.
- To freshen laundry. Add a few drops to dryer balls to freshen laundry or add a drop to your kid’s pajamas and pop them in the dryer for a few minutes before bedtime.
- Room refresher spray. In a 2 oz spray bottle, add 15 drops, a splash of witch hazel and distilled water and spray on linens, pillows and curtains to have your home smelling like a lavender field.
- Soften cuticles. Lavender is great for promoting healthy nails so I love to rub it directly onto my nail beds.
- For seasonal support. I can’t tell you how often we diffuse lavender with lemon and peppermint (about 3 drops each) during seasonal changes. I also keep this combo in several roller bottles around the house – 10-15 drops of each and fill to the top with fractionated coconut oil.
- In tea for respiratory support. Lavender and lemon combined with hot water and honey, to taste, is perfect for soothing sore throats!
Do you have a favorite use for lavender? I’d love to know!